Search | Active Topics

Access 2003 Runtime and KB-945674 Options
AngelM
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:19:52 PM
Groups: Member

Hi,

I have a very strange problem with KB-945674 hotfix installation in one customer workstation and it appears like installed in "Add/Remove Programs" BUT "MsAccess.exe" version is still 11.0.8166.0 (SP3) instead of 11.0.8204.0 as it should according to this hotfix.

I made a test on a Virtual PC and it happens the same as customer workstation. This is the info:

. Virtual PC with Windows XP Pro SP3 (no Office at all)
. Installation of Access 2003 Runtime MSI Wizard, with success.
. Installation of Office SP2, with success.
. Installation of Office SP3, with success.
. Installation of KB-945674, apparently with success according to installation message BUT "MsAccess.exe" is not updated.

I repeat the test with another Virtual PC with Windows XP Pro SP3 and Office 2003 >>Retail<< with SP2:
. Installation of Office SP3, with success.
. Installation of KB-945674 with success and now, "MsAccess.exe" has 11.0.8204.0 version.

I don't know why the "Runtime" installation is not updated. I have spent 10 days trying to locate some info about with NO success.

I launch to you (as Access installation experts) my last help call before I have to modify my application because I have a combobox with more than 31 fields and that is one of issues solved in that hotfix.

I sincerely appreciate some light from you about.

Thanks in advance.

Angel.
ColeS
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:47:27 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

Hi Angel,

I asked around the office but unfortunately none of us have encountered that issue before.
Microsoft lists the patch as applying to only Microsoft Access 2003 and does not mention the runtime. It is possible that the fix was only created for the full version of Access.
The Runtime is a separate application than the full installation of Office so I could see how one could be updated and not the other.

If anyone else reading this has any advice for Angel please comment.

AngelM
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:21:26 AM

Cole,

Thanks for your answer.

Well, nobody gave any answer to this problem, so I assume that no one is using "Access 2003 Runtime" in a "pure" runtime installation and has applied the KB.

I would like to know a word from SageKey regarding this, that is, I would like to listen from SageKey following:

"We have implemented Access 2003 Runtime, applied SP3 and applied KB-945674 and after that MsAccess.exe version is 11.0.8204.0"; all of them in a "pure" 2003 Runtime installation.

According to your comment about "Microsoft Access 2003 Runtime" is a differente product than "Microsoft Access 2003", there are 3 possible options here:

1. Microsoft "forgot" to include "Access 2003 Runtime" in the HotFix.
2. SageKey MSI Wizard 2.1.2 has some installation problem with HotFix.
3. Everything is OK and problem is focused in my computer.

In case "1", someone should alert Microsoft about its mistake and Sagekey has the enough level contact to escalate this, because if affecting to SageKey business.

In case "2", SageKey should provide some kind of solution so KB be applied properly.

In case "3", I have a very serious issue because I have no idea how to solve it because it is out of my knowledge. The only solution is modify my app and to pray no new fixes be applied to Access 2003.

I appreciate some help from you about.

Angel.
WolframO
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:44:16 AM

Hi AngeIM,

we found that the runtime will be updated only, if you have installed some fixes after SP3 and before Hotfix 945674.
We install Runtime 2003 built by sagetool, than SP3, than kbs: 943452,945185,951535,953504,954478,955439
and after this patches the hotfix.

After this we have the MSAccess.exe in runtime folder also on 8204 version.
Sometimes an Error PIA___... comes up and a message hotfix could not be applied. But it is applied. Message depends on Full Version which is present and comes up only sometimes.

Hope this helps Wolfram
AngelM
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:55:41 AM

Wolfram:

Thank you very much for your answer. I will test your suggestion asap.

In addition, I have raised an incident at Microsoft Spain and I am waiting to get in touch with them. Let's wait and see Microsoft opinion about.

Angel.
AngelM
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:46:02 AM

Well, today I have received good news from Microsoft Support. The issue with this KB is fixed installing KB-943452 but only for specified languages (main european apart of english). This KB fixes another bug introduced with "ominous" SP3.

In case someone has installed KB-945674 or another post-service SP3 hotfix and are in troubles, please install KB-943452 and after again the hotfix selecting "Reinstall or Repair".

Wolfram: you were in the right direction, thanks.

Angel,