Search | Active Topics

Windows 7 & default installation folder Options
AndyC
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:12:05 PM
Groups: Member

Hey all,

Does anyone know what's up with windows 8 and wanting to suggest: \program files (x86)\ as the install folder? I had a user install and it went to this folder by default. When he tried to run my program, it bombs out while trying to connect to the back-end database. By default, I look in the currentdb.name folder to auto-connect to database.accdb that is in the folder for currentdb.name.

Many thanks,

Andy
ChrisA
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 10:15:46 AM
Groups: Member

I think it has to do with permissions/security stuff (real technical right?) and so you really need to install to the <COMMON> directory as is discussed in the Help file. By installing here, it's my understanding that this overcomes the issues associated with other folders. I'm sure Cole will pipe in about this, but per another thread, this "COMMON" folder is where Microsoft suggests programs that write to databases and the like be installed.
ColeS
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 2:45:45 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

Also the (x86) difference is due to the machine being a 64 bit machine. It is best to use non-hard-coded paths to you files to avoid the bombing when the install in put in a different location than expected.

Chris is right though, how the Common App Data folder will remain the same over 32 or 64 bit machines.