Search | Active Topics

Deploying backend database to network drive Options
ChrisP
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 2:47:41 PM
Groups: Member

How do I do this with the Access 2010 deployment wizard? The folder selection dialog only offers local drives. Any help would be much appreciated.

CHP
ColeS
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:09:54 AM

Groups: Administration , Member

Are you using the Mapped drive letter, or have you tried entering the server path?
By default the Wizard is designed with the intention of installing to the local machine, but it does have the ability for the you or the user to enter specific network paths as install locations.
I.E. \\Servername\Company name\Product name\Backend Folder etc.
ChrisP
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 2:40:44 PM

Hi Cole

Thanks for your reply.

If I do it by mapped drive letter, I get "Error 1327. Invalid Drive: w:\"

If I do it by server path, I get "Error 1314. The specified path \\... is unavailable."

Any clues?

Chris
ColeS
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 9:30:04 AM

Hi Chris,

I wonder if this could be a permission related issue. Can you try running the package as Administrator? (right click and select, run as admin, not just running it while logged in as an admin.
ChrisP
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:02:42 PM

Hi Cole

If I runs as administrator I get the same results as before. The server folder is definitely accessible from the machine I'm running the installer on.

ATB
Chris
ColeS
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 11:02:15 AM

Hi Chris,

If you're able to do some more testing, you could try building the package as All Files Visible and then just running the MSI version of your install package that comes in the distribution folder.
This won't chain Extra Installs or the runtime, but it is the version of the package with the highest rights on the system.
If it can't find the network resource, then i'd have to suggest trying from another machine.

If you've got a download link for the package you are testing, I could give it a try too. You could also upload it to me through http://www.sagekey.com/file_upload.aspx
ChrisP
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 6:55:12 AM

Hi Cole

Running the .msi file directly solves the network folder access problem. When you say that this "won't chain Extra Installs or the runtime", does that mean that it won't install the Access runtime? If it won't, how do I get round this? Also I'm finding that if I run the installer a second time - say to update the front end - I don't get any dialogs and it just runs and installs everything including the backend. This will make it difficult to update the code without affecting the users' data.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris
ColeS
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 3:40:33 PM

Hi Chris,
This was a diagnostic test to see if it would work at any level. I do not recommend deploying the package with all files visible and without the runtime.

I've reproduced the issue on my side and it looks like something that isn't just a settings. I've submitted it for review and will keep this thread active with any news.
ColeS
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:28:41 AM

Hi Chris,

I've sent something to try to your registered email address. Let me know if you need me to send it somewhere else.