Search | Active Topics

Access 2016 and images Options
RichardK
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 1:42:08 PM
Groups: Member

There is a well documented issue with Access 2016 (knowledgebase article KB3114379) that relates to images that cannot be printed or previewed in the Access 2016.

After purchasing the wonderful SageKey product (yesterday!!) and bundling up our application, we found in testing the image problem persists 8 months after the hotfix was delivered because the hot fix will not patch the runtime, only the full version.

This derails our rollout of our new version of GEMINI(r), our software system for jewelers, (designed to run in Access 2016 runtime) until if/when this is resolved.

In the meantime, can we use the SageKey Access 2016 deployment to package up the Access 2007 runtime and an Access 2007 version accdr?. I would use the shortcut that references the accdr directly not the SageKey launcher.
ColeS
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 2:28:12 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

I hate to see the short sighted (and disrespectful to Access developers) moves from Microsoft like this. their runtime team is so limited that simple things like this get held up for who knows how long.

As for using the Access 2016 Deployment Wizard Pro to deploy a non Access 2016 database, yes it can be done, at the sacrifice of the professional install and Access version protection.

As you mentioned, you will need to change the frontend shortcut to uncheck the option to 'Use StartAccess'. This will then point right to the database.
As for the runtime, you'll need to add it as an Extra Install instead of where the Wizard asks for it.
Also give the runtime the command line parameters of : /qb-!
This will help simplify the runtime install screens, but you'll still need to interact with it.

That's all that comes to mind for modifications. This is not something we normally do or suggest, so if there are any complications in testing, post back here and I'll help however I can.

Keep in mind that this is not how we intend for the packages to be deployed and it is not representative of the quality of professional install and subsequent launch of the application that we pride ourselves on.
JohnT
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 9:39:45 AM

I'm having the exact same issues. No problems with the SageKey installer - I've got versions going back to 2003 - but it looks like it may be the end of the line for the product I've been selling for more than 15 years. If MS will not fix the problem after more than eight months, I don't think they have any intention of ever fixing it.

The whole point of my application is printing images. I purchased the 2016 installer last month and have been trying to develop work-arounds since then, with no luck. Fortunately, I was already working on a cloud-based replacement prior to 2016 so I'm not completely out of business. However, I'm finding that the majority of my clients prefer to have a PC-based software so this issue will eventually affect my bottom line.

If you do come up with a solution, please post it here for the benefit of all.
RichardK
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 10:37:46 AM

Hi John,

There is an update for Access 2016 dated August 2, 2016 (KB3115142) that appears to resolve the issue. MS does not list the update as a fix for the image problem and it is intended for the full version of Access. However, it did run successfully on the runtime and it did, in fact, update and fix it, at least here, on our test PCs.

Here is the link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115142

Let me know if this works for you as well.

DeanB
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:02:42 AM

The August 2 update worked for me, for the 2016 Runtime version, and it resolved the image issue. Thanks for the tip.
RichardK
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:40:20 AM

Glad to help.