Search | Active Topics

This topic solved my problem
Security demo problem Access 02 version 3 Options
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:06:15 AM
Groups: Guest

I've got a question about the Access 02 security, version 3. I've been using the Sagekey Security for over a year and have done a number of the 'trial' or 'demo' installations with it. Every time it has worked correctly except once, yesterday. When I installed it, along with the Access Runtime (the client didn't have any Office programs at all) the 'unlock code' window came up when the app was opened the first time. Usually if the install is a demo it says 'you have x days left in the trial period' and you don't put any unlock code in at all.
It was a surprise and I couldn't get it to work normally, even tried using the demo unlock utility (kept saying it was an invalid unlock code). So I had to just install my app fully unlocked, using the regular Unlock Utility. The client had a Vista computer, which hasn't made a difference in the past.
So I tested the exact same install file on a 'blank' pc I use for such purposes and it worked exactly as supposed to: upon first opening saying 'you have 14 days left in the trial period.' I really don't understand why this worked on one pc and not on another and it makes me very nervous to try to install demo apps.
Do you have any idea what could be causing this? I need to have some handle on it before I try it again with a prospective client. The 'surprise' issue is a big one for this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
ColeS
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:06:02 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

There are a couple things that jump to mind. For it to jump right to requiring the unlock rather than offering a demo means that something invalidated the demo period.
There are a few ways this could happen.
If the system date was changed on the machine the demo would be invalidated but that is hard to miss when installing it yourself.
If there was a previous install of the same program (or one with the same validate keys) the demo would not come up.
If you are using the mac address to find the fingerprint and an external network card was removed, that could change the machine's fingerprint.

There could be more, but since it unlocked I doubt it is an issue with a continuously changing fingerprint. It sounds like a machine specific error, not something wrong with the install.

If you run into this again you can use the reset key utility to blank the unlock information for those validate keys, and the program will be restored to demo. If you do this, be sure to remove the reset key utility from the user's machine.

Also if you ever find that you need to unlock a user without having them first buy the program, it is best to use the internet unlock, since you can revoke the key remotely if needed if they do not buy.

If you do not currently do internet unlocking, it is certainly something to consider as we now offer hosting service for the web component of the security package. This can make it much easier to get it set up.

Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 11:59:11 AM
Groups: Guest

Thanks for the input Cole. I'll take a look at that- I don't think the client already had the demo version on their computer but it is possible as I'd done a demo for someone else in their office a couple months ago. I'm hoping it's just something like that. Also, that's a great idea about using the internet security module- I'm going to implement that once I get some time to dig into it's process better (I looked at the video and it seemed understandable to a moderate programmer like me).

One question about the internet security- does the client's computer always have to have internet access AFTER their software is unlocked to be usable. This wouldn't matter with a demo version but a number of my clients take laptops onsite and won't always have internet connections. They'd still need to be able to open their apps. Not sure if this works this way. Thanks for the help on clarifying this..

Also- just a quick note on the forum functioning: it'd be great if there were a way to get an email if and when a response is posted to a user's question. That way I won't have to keep checking back randomly. Otherwise, the forum's great and thanks for the support.
ColeS
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 12:57:13 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

Once unlock the user does not have to be on the internet. We have had some of our users set their product up so that if their clients are not connected to the internet, they get a warning and are only able to use the program a certain amount of times before they must be online.
This allows you to keep them periodically checking to see if their key has been revoked, but is not required.

If you go back a screen from where you are reading this you can choose to watch that forum. I believe you have to be logged in to do so.