Search | Active Topics

Windows Installer opens after launching program via shortcut Options
AndyC
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 2:02:59 PM
Groups: Member

Hello all,

I had a user suddenly report that she could no longer launch my access 2007 application. I took control of her desktop using remote assistance, and here is what I found:

* Doubl-clicking the desktop shortcut did launch ms access 2007, then my program began to open. I even saw my splash / 'what's new?' screen, then I saw a windows installer box that briefly opened. This is a typical box you see when installing the ms access runtime, or other office product. It went away very quickly, then the entire app shut down.

* I went into 'add/remove programs' in her control panel, and only found MS Office Access 2007 Runtime, MS Office PDF add-in, but no other full versions of office.

* Previously I had her try uninstalling ms office access 2007 runtime, and reinstalling the runtime on it's own, still no go.

* Finally, I browsed to my runtime accde file directly, and double-clicked it. It correctly launched my app with no shutting down or installer box popping up.

* So, short term, I created a shortcut directly to the accde on her desktop, and that allows her to run the program.

* Finally, I checked the target / shortcut of the app's desktop icon, and it did have the sagekey / start access commands, and the proper info.

Any ideas?

Andy
ColeS
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 2:19:53 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

Hi Andy,

Thats a tricky one, do you know if something had changed on the user's machine between when they could last use the shortcut and now? It could be a Windows Update to the runtime I suppose, I'll check what has been pushed out recently.
It is strange for Access 2007 to launch and then begin reconfiguring. Usually it cannot launch until the reconfiguration is done when it is required.