Search | Active Topics

prevent Trusted Location warnings Options
WolframO
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:19:32 PM
Groups: Member

I read many Posts to this toppic, but one questions remains:

How do I set c:\Users\{WindowsUser}\appdata\MyApplication
as a trusted Folder?

Install is done as Admin, Windows users Change on a computer. So the main question is, if in "HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE...." a Wildcard for user in the path is possible?

Actually I only know the approach to solve it by a Group policy. But for this I need the customer IT more than with a Standard Installation. I try to avoid this.

Background:
Depending on things in our application we create subfolders in user specific appdata\MyApplication and place temporary files there. One of them is a mdb-file used similar to a backend file but as local Cache. Tables are linked from frontend which is in c:\programdata\Myapplication\mde\frontend.mde. So for every new user once the Trusted Location warning appears (> 30 tables).
As data are user specific, I do not like to place that data into Folders in programdata. (Which I read in documentation the install sets as trusted Folder)

Thank you for any hint.

Wolfram
ColeS
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 1:22:19 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

Hi Wolfram,

The Wizard sets the install location (whatever you choose, not just Programdata) as a trusted folder.
To set another trusted folder you can use this registry key"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\[X]\User Settings\Access_Core\Create\Software\Microsoft\Office\[X]\Access\Security\Trust
ed Location\Location1]

Where [X] is your Access version number.
WolframO
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:16:51 AM
Groups: Member

Hi Cole,

Thank you for the answer. The key I found by the former Posts. But my Problem is the path to specify.

The path is Windows-User application data. On using our application we create a Folder structure there. This happens on first start by the of our app by the (new) Windows user.

I do not want to declare complete "appdata" as trusted. But on install the user specific Folders do not exist.

So this was the question to "Wildcard" inside of path Argument of registry key.

"c:\Users\{WindowsUser}\appdata\MyApplication" for unknown Windows users.

Do you have an idear for this?
ColeS
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 10:25:26 AM

Groups: Administration , Member

I see what you are looking for.
Unfortunately the Wizard does not access the user variables and cannot create a location based on it. Your best bet here would be to write a script or secondary install that checks the value and sets the key for you. That script could then be run as an extra install in the wizard.