Search | Active Topics

Starting StartAccess3_2010 Minimized Options
BillB
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:20:05 AM
Groups: Member

My application calls StartAccess3_2010 to display reports in an Access database. The database has its own startup macro and switchboard screen. The problem is that when Access starts up, it starts up in full-screen mode and the Access screen can be seen before the switchboard comes up. What we'd like to have happen is for the switchboard to come up without having the Access screen flash. Is this possible? I'm already spawning StartAccess3_2010 in minimized mode but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I also have another, unrelated, question, what happens when the Access 2010 Runtime is installed on a computer that already has a regular installation of Access 2010? It used to be (2002) that the runtime installed in the folder Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Access Runtime but it looks now to be installed in Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14. Is there a way to specify the installation folder through the config file when installing the runtime silently?
BillB
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:34:57 AM
Groups: Member

I think I may have answered my own questions, but if you could tell me if I'm right, that would be great.

For the first question, I'm now doing things this way:

I shell StartAccess3_2010 with the -capture switch,
I then shell MSAccess in mimimized mode.
I then shell StartAcces3_2010 with -openkeys and -noprogress switches.
I then shell StartAcces3_2010 again but with the -restore switch.

This is the way my installer handles it. I assume it is grabbing and saving and then restoring settings from the retail version of Access 2010 if it is on the computer. Is this the right way to do it?

As far as my other question goes, I added this line to the config.xml file:

<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Access Runtime"/>

This puts Access into an Office14 folder under the Microsoft Access Runtime folder, which seems to ensure that it won't conflict with any retail version. Is that right? I did notice that adding this line changes my installation from being completely silent to now showing progress screens during the Access installation.
ColeS
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 4:04:39 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

You are correct.
For the first question you have the right sequence for launching using StartAccess.

On the other question, that is certainly one way to set a new location for the runtime. The other is in the install.ini file of a completed 'all files visible' build.
The line you change in there is ACCESSRTLOCATION=
It is empty by default and can have a path added like the content of the INSTALLLOCATION Value you used in the Config.xml example.

Also a quick note, that the Access User Group forum is mainly for our many Access Developers to help eachother out with the occasional note from us at SageKey, so if you need a quicker turnaround, I recommend the Access Deployment Wizard forum.