Search | Active Topics

Error 2709 Options
SimonT
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:37:39 PM
Groups: Member

Some of my customers are reporting error 2709 over the past couple of weeks. They are using Access 2003 runtime probobly with Office 2007.
WE've had the install running perfectly for years with Sagekey scripts so I am pretty sure that MS have probably just done something in one of their updates.
Is anybody else reporting this back to you and/or do you have any ideas on how it can be corrected. I've been unable to dig anything up on the net for it so far. If it helps, this is what they are seeing:
Error 2709: An internal error has occured. (global_pia_owc11)

You click ok a couple of times and eventually the runtime will start although it's annoying the users.
If anybody else has a solution that they want to share, please do!
MaryR
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:39:05 AM

I encountered this last evening in my product as well. My customer tried to reinstall everything and is now unable to re-install Access Runtime, getting the same error. I look forward to a solution!
SteveB
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 9:54:54 AM

Groups: Administration , Member

Hello.
Besides the 2 of you, there are also 2 others I know of having this same problem. I think we're all of the opinion that this is probably an office update that has caused this.
We first of all need to find what updates have come down for office (2003 and 2007) recently.

Mary, was the error that you got also to do with owc11? This, as you may know is Office Web Components... Hmmmm.... having said this, you know what became a windows update late last week? Internet Explorer 8.

Let's start there, how many of these affected machines have IE8 on them? I guess what I'm really asking is are there any affected machines with IE7?

Thanks for any feedback guys.
PatrickH
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 9:57:09 AM

I too have the same problem with an installation. The installer was created over a year ago and has been updated over time. The last update to the installer was at least two months ago, if not longer. It has always worked until recently when the error 2709 began appearing. It has the same error message as that described by SimonT.

I built the installer for another business so I don't have direct contact with the users but, to my knowledge, the machines that are seeing the error are also running full versions of Office 2007 Professional.

So far, the users have been able to run the Office Unstallation utility and successfully reinstall both the product that uses the Access 2003 runtime and the full version of Office 2007. The utility can be found at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

As with SimonT, I believe that some Office or Windows update triggered the problem but I don't know which update would have caused it.
SteveB
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 11:35:48 AM

Thanks Patrick. We often recommend using the Windows Installer Cleanup utility - but only as a last resort. There really shouldn't be any negative connotations of using it but there usually is a workaround for an issue rather than just ripping it off and reinstalling it.

However, of course, if you're pressed for time and just want to get something up and running then, well, you've got no choice right now unfortunately!
SteveB
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:43:54 AM

We can certainly try and reproduce it. Any hints on reproducing it would be gratefully received. Otherwise we'll just have to try various windows updates.

I was really hoping it was IE8.
ColeS
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:25:21 PM

Ron you beat me to it!

In the testing that I did, I reproduced the error by having an Access 2003 runtime (patched to SP3) and applying the KB847319 update.

From what we've seen of this, it looks like we will have to wait on Microsoft to provide a fix. We'll keep an eye on the issue an update you if we get any further information.

Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 9:25:57 AM
Groups: Guest

Is it possible to do a system restore prior to the install of KB947319, or should I recommend the reinstall such as Patrick described?

Mary
ColeS
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:14:34 AM

If the reinstall works for you it would be less work for the end user. If you do a system restore it may get it back how it was but if Microsoft is pushing out this update then it would only be a matter of time before it gets loaded again.
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:45:24 PM

Any more news on this? I have several customers with the issure now and was hoping that a fix is coming soon???

How are you all dealing with this?

Mary
ColeS
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:24:05 PM

Hi Mary,

I am keeping track of Microsoft's movements on this but have not seen anything yet worth reporting. For now the workaround is a full uninstall (in the method mentioned by Patrick) and reinstalling.
We will update this post if we learn anymore.
DavidB
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:42:45 PM

I have two users (so far) reporting the "Error 2709: An internal error has occurred. (global_pia_owc11)" when they start my installed Access 2003 Run-time application. Users report the app worked fine until Windows Updates were installed. Cole S. mentioned KB847319, but I think he means "Security Update for Microsoft Office Web Components (KB947319)"

The users have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. It installs and runs with the same error on start up, but seems to work OK after the messages are dismissed.

On my development machine, where the same Windows updates have been installed, the app runs fine. This is on Vista with a full version of Access 2003 installed as well as the run time installed by the SageKey MSI installer; the users reporting the problem are on XP and do not have a full version of Access installed.

I trust you are continuing to investigate this. Looking forward to a solution!
Michael
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 11:28:02 AM

We are also experiencing this error at several of our client desktops and, as of today, are starting to see the error on client's servers.

Has any progress been made on this error?

We too can use the application after clicking "OK" to all the error messages.
For example, this is happening on a Windows Server 2003 SP2.
KirkS
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:36:03 AM

Guest wrote:
We are also experiencing this error at several of our client desktops and, as of today, are starting to see the error on client's servers.

Has any progress been made on this error?

We too can use the application after clicking "OK" to all the error messages.
For example, this is happening on a Windows Server 2003 SP2.

I'll chime in that we're starting to experience this same error. In our case, the message is:
"Error 2709. An internal error has occurred. (SK_RQMStart.exe )"
RQMStart.exe is the name of a custom file that we have added to the package for the installer to copy to the installation directory.

Any word on a fix for this?
Kirk
ChrisF
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:53:54 AM

One of my clients received this error as well.

"Error 2709. An internal error has occurred. (Global_PIA_OWC11 )"

Any more news on a possible fix for this?

Thanks,
Chris
MarkS
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:12:56 AM

Just to add to the list, we're also getting:

Error 2709. An internal error has occurred.
(Global_PIA_OWC11)

Installed using Access 2003 runtime scripts for Wise (2.0.16) onto XP (SP3) and Office 2002 (SP3). Only 1 client so far reporting the error but this could grow rapidly!
KirkS
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:20:33 AM

MarkS wrote:
Just to add to the list, we're also getting:

Error 2709. An internal error has occurred.
(Global_PIA_OWC11)

Installed using Access 2003 runtime scripts for Wise (2.0.16) onto XP (SP3) and Office 2002 (SP3). Only 1 client so far reporting the error but this could grow rapidly!

See the fix released 10/13/09, v3.0.34, discussed in this related thread:
http://www.sagekey.com/support_forum.aspx?g=posts&t=220

Thanks to the dev team for getting this one fixed! Not sure if it fixes all Err 2709 issues here or not.
ColeS
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:15:43 AM

Hi All,

The 2709 error fix linked above is related to errors on install of your application. Most users in this thread are having trouble with the use and removal of the Access 2003 runtime. As mentioned, that error seems to have been caused by a Windows update over which we have no control. Right now the workaround is to remove and reinstall the runtime (using the Windows installer cleanup utility to remove it).
MarkS
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:29:32 AM

I see KB947319 seems to be mentioned many times in this thread.

Interestingly the latest Windows Updates KB972580 and KB973705 (referred to from KB974554) both fail to install.

The known issues on these pages refer to the updates not installing if Access 2003 runtime and KB947319 are both present. Apparently "Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available". Maybe it's related?

There is a workaround suggested but it's not really practical (uninstall 2003, upgrade to 2007).
ColeS
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:47:50 PM

In my own testing I found that removing the 2003 runtime (with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility if needed) and reinstalling the 2003 runtime it fixes the problem. I did not have to use the 2007 runtime, is this now the case for you?
It could be that those updates are related, anything that gets Microsoft looking at these issues is good news in its own way.