Search | Active Topics

Virtual Storage Options
PeterB
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:18:47 PM
Groups: Member

Hi,

Our application was originally built in 1997 on MS Access 97. It was converted to MS Access 2003 a few years ago. It has traditionally installed several app.mdb files to c:\program files\OrgFolder\AppFolder\ which is a no, no since Virtual Storage was introduced. Our client-base is moving off XP and we are starting to hit Virtual Store related issues.

Does the new Access Wizard solve the Virtual Store interference from Windows 7?

Cheers
Steve
ChrisM
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:30:23 PM

Hi Peter -

I'm not sure if anyone has answered this for you yet but we went through the same agonising issue only last week when using SageKey for the first time.

The short answer is, No, SageKey doesn't resolve this (as far as I can see) as it's a Microsoft issue. We've just taken on board SageKey and it's a life-saver given that the Access 2010 installer is worse than the 2003 one (eg. impossible to sign your actual code, etc).

We tried to work out the best location for the front-end and back-end, given the possible use by our business users of XP/Vista/Win7 and, increasingly, 64-bit. And we ended up with a very unconventional solution!

See here under "Note for Technicians" as we felt an explanation (apology?) was in order:

http://www.loanlinx.com.au/help/loanlinx7/default.htm?where_is_my_data_.htm

We really don't like that solution but it seems the only practical one for a FE/BE Access database where our users can have some certainty over file location, until our friends in Redmond standardise on fixed locations for everything and/or an easy way to programmatically overcome the virtual store issue.

HTH

Chris Mills
Linx Software
Australia

PeterB
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:37:50 PM

Thanks Chris,

I appreciate your help.

Steve Liley
for Peter Brooks